Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Art Doll Galore!.




I was sorting around my art supplies and old material and came across a book that I received as a gift when I was around 9 years old. It was titled, "My First Sewing Book". I remember making everything in it including a simple skirt and bandana....yes a bandana. The book was first published in 1970, which I am sure is the year I recieved it. I remember making these animals for myself and I thought my daughter would love them....sure enough, to get this picture I had to wait till she was at school. She has named them "Zinkies", "Roxy" and "Poxy". After sewing all weekend, I thought to myself, why aren't I doing this with my art. I have always loved to sew and have an ancient sewing machine in my art room. I gathered up all of my sewing stuff, which all looks to be dated from the late 70's and started working on an art doll. I modeled after my "Peaceful Angel" picture. I can't wait till she's done. I will post a picture as soon as I finish her. I hope to sell these in my etsy store. She is totally sewn with my own pattern that I made after the painting, then painted with gesso, then detailed with acylic paint. . I plan on detailing her more with black ink, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I also haven't made the heart yet, I was wondering what I should use, maybe paper mache'. This is a new beginning.....another one....haha.


3 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm always for "new beginnings" Shelley...I think that sounds better than "old starts"!!! :) And the fact that you are returning to something that you loved doing as a child? It means you still listen to that "little girl" when she manages to get your attention. I think the fact that you are sharing this joy with your daughter makes it even more special. Look forward to seeing the doll when she's finished!

Kolleen said...

"Cheers" to new beginnings! Can't wait to see the doll! Thank you for your kind words on my blog! I am so new to tapping into my creative side - it is all pretty foreign to me! I am in desperate need of a good art class since I have never taken one in my life - I feel lost!! Any wordsd of wisdom for me?? I have read Kelly Rae's book which was so inspiring and insightful. I would welcome any advice you may want to share! Hugs!

Kathleen Rietz said...

Hi Shelley! It is really amazing to see how your style in art is developing. I have not been back here in a while, but you were on my mind the other day. I feel as though I have been "kidnapped" by my current project. I'll be glad when it is all done and I can blog again.

Anyway, your work is looking wonderful and it seems you are very prolific lately! You'll have to drop me an email and tell me how it is going. Love your Slide feature with the floating hearts, too....it is so reflective of your style!